Breaking

Friday 22 September 2017

West Ham's Michail Antonio confident his goalscoring touch will return

Tottenham Hotspur will have to watch Michail Antonio closely on Saturday after the West Ham attacker claimed he is about to embark on a goal rush.

Michail Antonio
This time last season, Antonio already had five goals to his name. However, despite impressing since returning from a four-month injury lay-off, he has not found the back of the opposition net so far this season.
The reigning Hammer of the Year, who suffered a hamstring injury against Swansea in April which ruled him out for the rest of last season, has scored just once in his last 17 appearances in all competitions.

Ahead of Saturday's clash at home to Spurs, which is live on Sky Sports Premier League from 11.30am, Antonio is confident his goalscoring touch will return.

"It's been a bit of a rusty start - I was out for four months, but don't worry, the goals are coming! I'll catch up," he told Sky Sports.

"I love attacking. I love scoring goals - it's why I play football, but [goal droughts] are part of parcel of the game. I will be ready and I will start scoring soon."
The 27-year-old has earned himself a cult following among supporters of West Ham largely due to his powerful performances on the right wing, but also due to his flamboyant goal celebrations.

Antonio has impersonated Homer Simpson, performed the famous Carlton Banks dance from The Fresh Prince of Bel Air and dabbled with 'the worm' to rejoice in finding the net over the past couple of seasons.

Although out of practice, he has revealed he has got something special up his sleeve if he finds the net this weekend.

"I've got something in mind, but I can't share it before a game," he said.
"It needs to be a surprise. A celebration has to include a bit of banter and it must look good. The worm is an amazing celebration.

"I've not had as many opportunities as I normally do, but I'm working my way back.

"I normally have a knack of being at the right place at the right time, but being out for four months I've lost that natural ability. I'm getting fitter and I will get that back. You don't lose that natural ability."

It has been a tough start for West Ham in the Premier League, with Slaven Bilic's team taking just four points from their first five games.
However, they are unbeaten in their last two matches after victory over Huddersfield and a stalemate with West Brom.

Antonio, who won the man-of-the-match award with Sky Sports in both matches, thinks the new-look West Ham front-line which includes Andy Carroll, Javier Hernandez, himself and Marko Arnautovic are starting to click and is excited regarding their future prospects.

"It's a serious attacking line-up," he said.

"When everyone is fit, the gaffer is going to have a headache because we all feel we deserve to play. It's a good place to be as you know if you're not playing well, there's someone behind you who will come in and do a job. It pushes you to make sure you do play well."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kindly drop your comment here